Brook trout cooked on a cross
- 2 large brook trout
- 1 cup of Canopée gin
- 2 tablespoons of maple sugar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon of fresh or dehydrated balsam fir needles
- Get a fire going to create a good amount of burning coals.
- From a cross out of green alder branches.
- Use a mortar and pestle to grind the dry ingredients.
- Clean the trout, then season them inside and out.
- Place the trout on the alder branches and tie them in place using thin roots or string.
- Set up the trout facing the coals, moistening them with gin every 15 minutes using a pine or cedar branch.
- Leave them to cook for about an hour.
Servings: 2 to 4
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 1 hour
Recipe by Jean-Philippe Leclerc
Dry forest gin with notes of balsam, wood and light smoke inspired by Québec nature.